Aiwa HP-M16 headphone specs




I have been using this Aiwa headphone for years. It’s cheap and good and it pairs very well with the Creative Sound Blaster USB sound cards that I have. When I checked the receipt that i had for this headphone, it was dated 2003 (and today it’s 2016). It’s been a long time since then. Recently, the pair that I have been using started to fail on the left side. I found out that the wire in the cord near the left driver is suffering from an intermittent open circuit. Manage to pry open the casing, snip off the defected section and soldered and wires back. Finally, it’s back to in action again.

Due to the incident, I decide to look around to see if anyone is still selling this headphone (HP-M16 brand new). I did find a few sellers but they have already sold out on the headphones(a similar model HP-M38) a few years ago. I tried to look for the specs of HP-M16 and HP-M38 to see if they are the same, but I just couldn’t find them on the internet.

So……. I dig through a big pile of my old photos (take with my mobile phone years back) and I managed to find a shot of the headphone packaging.

Here’s the specs for Aiwa HP-M16 stereo headphone.

Type: open-air dynamic stereo headphones
Driver units: 32mm diaphragm
Impedenace: 32 ohm
Sensitivity: 97 dB/mW
Rated power: 40mW
Maximum input power: 100mW
Frequency response: 20-20,000Hz
Cord: 1.1 meters (43 inches)
Plug: 3.5mm stereo plug
Weight: 40 grams (1.41 oz) (w/out cord)


Hopefully it would be of some use to someone out there…….retro headphone users maybe…


Comments

  1. Very helpful! I've been looking for this info for a while ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/799555/aiwa-hp-m16-headphone-specs ). I have a pair from 1992 and they still work like new. Best phones I've ever owned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you found it useful.
      I stumbled onto these headphone at my regular local computer shopping center way back in 2003. The shop selling these headphone was trying to clear them out. They were priced at S$1.80 each, which is about US$1+ each (2003 exchange rate). Initially i bought one set but after testing it. i found that the sound quantity was really good for just US$1+ a piece. It was really a fantastic deal. I later went back to the shop and scoop up almost all the existing stock (about 15 - 18 pieces... i think) that they have on the shelf. All of them are brand new stock. Most of them were for my colleagues and they too found that its a fantastic deal.
      I believe the headphone that i bought should be manufactured much earlier that 2003. I am guessing that it might have been made sometime around year 2000 or in the late 90's.

      Delete
  2. Hey - any chance you still have a pair you're willing to sell? Mine finally just died (actually, the same problem you described above - cutting out in the left side. I'm no solderer though). RIP 1992-2017. That's a damn good lifespan for some little walkman cans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Unfortunately, i have used up all the new sets that i had kept over the years. I am currently down to my last pair. The plastic part that holds the metal head band cracked over time. All of them suffered the same problem even my present last pair.

      I did a quick search on ebay and I found a seller selling a pair. Maybe you can consider his offer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-AIWA-HP-M16-DYNAMIC-HEADPHONES-PRE-OWNED/273012782440?hash=item3f90d47568:g:E7YAAOSw~3paT-eM

      Delete

Post a Comment