Battery operated quartz mechanism clock repair

Recently, my battery operated quartz clock stopped working. After some debugging, I found that the quartz mechanism has failed.
Not wanting to waste the perfectly fine clock casing, I decided to look for a replacement quartz mechanism to have the clock repaired.


After searching around in Aliexpress, I found that replacement clock quartz mechanism are relatively inexpensive. I then decided to go ahead and purchase one unit to try, anyway its only about US$1 each.
Long story short, I ended up getting another unit because the first unit’s internal gears are somewhat grinding against something. The second unit also had the same problem, but it was not as severe as the first unit. I then open up both of them, realigned the gears and added some lubricant. Both units begin running fine after all that.

Here’s a picture of the units.

I proceed to install the replacement and it is up and running in about 15mins.

After about 1 month of running on a fresh EVEREADY Super Heavy Duty battery, the clock started to experience symptom of low bat. The battery finally died around the fifth week. I was quite surprise that the battery ran out of juice that quickly. I noticed that in the battery compartment, it says “USE ALKALINE BATTERIES”. I assume that’s because it needs a lot more power to run longer.

Ok, that’s it…. Time to ask google for answers…
After some research, it looks like the ones that I have chosen are both power hungry ones. So, it’s back to Aliexpress to look for another replacement.
Finally, I found a suitable replacement that is much more energy efficient and it has been working fine for a few months now.
Here’s the one that I got. The arms are somewhat mangled but that is easily fixed, so not an issue there..

Here’s a close up of the back of the mechanism.

Not too sure if this is the right way to assemble the parts but that’s how I did it.

That’s it.
If you are interested, you can get one for yourself on Aliexpress HERE.
By the way, all 3 replacement click mechanism that I bought are smooth clock arm movement. It will not go tick-tok-tick-tok… :)

Hope this will be able to help someone out there.

Comments