Windows 10 clean install on the HP Pro x2 612 G1 hybrid laptop troubleshooting - couldn’t create a new partition.


After upgrading the Windows 7 Pro 32 bit on the Pro x2 to Windows 10, I noticed that the upgraded Windows 10 did not get upgraded to the 64 Bit version. Since the Pro x2 is a 64 bit, I decided to perform a clean install of Windows 10  so that I can have it changed to the 64 bit version.

I downloaded the Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool (you can get it here) , ran the tool, make sure I select "Windows 10" 64 bit and created the USB bootable installation media (details on how to go about doing this can be found here).

Next step, plug in the USB key into the Pro x2 and make sure to select to boot to USB flash drive at the BIOS screen. The installation process was going on smoothly until I got to the section for selecting the installation hard disk partition.  Any suitable sized partition that I have selected to install Windows on was met with a "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." Error message. To get to the log file, you have exit the partitioning screen and select "Repair your computer->Troubleshoot->Advance options->Command Prompt".

I had a look at the setup log file (log file can be found in x:\windows\panther\setuperr.log) and it has this error message "GetMachineInfo:Couldn't find boot disk on this BIOS-based computer". It looks like there is some issue with Windows identifying the correct boot disk to install Windows on.

After numerous  tries with different BIOS settings and partitions configurations, I have finally cracked the case. By simply disabling USB 3.0 (XHCI) the problem is fixed.

I'm not sure if I had turn the USB 3.0 (XHCI) on by mistake previously, but I am glad the issue is resolved.

Hope this is able to help anyone out there who might be facing the same issue.





Comments

  1. Really its very useful information that you have shared and thanks for sharing the information with us.
    123 HP Envy 127 Printer Setup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps just about to smash it. Luckily I seen this thanks again !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment